Each year, the total population of our school is screened by school staff to create a pool of eligible highly able candidates based on students’ participation and performance in various academic and arts activities.
Screening is formal: We review all test scores following standardized testing, and scholastic academic performance.
Screening is also informal: We note students’ competitions, awards, honors, and participation in school events.
Referrals for Gifted Services
Students may be referred for services by their classroom teacher, school personnel, parents/guardians, community leaders, and self or other students until April 1 for the current school year. A referral form must be filled out and given to the Resource Teacher for the Gifted.
Areas of Gifted Services Identification
- Specific Academic Aptitude:
- Social Studies
- Visual or Performing Arts:
- Visual Art
- Vocal Music
- Instrumental Music (string or wind instruments taught in APS)
- Gifted Services in Specific Academic Areas
- Standardized Testing Information
- Teacher Checklist on Observations of Academic Behaviors
- 6-12 Student Self-Assessment
- Grades/Academic Performance
- Student Products
- Parent Information
Definition of a Gifted Student from the Virginia Plan:
- “These students possess talents and abilities that differ from those of their peers to such a degree that differentiated educational programs should be provided to nurture their growth and development.”
- “The identification of these students is based on the premise that they need and can benefit from specifically planned educational services different from those provided by the general educational experience.”
An Appeals Process is available to families following the eligibility process. Appeal begins at the school level with the principal. Second level of appeals is a county-wide Gifted Services Administrative Appeals Committee.